Leadership United is offered each year from September through May, and uses a combination of monthly classes and practical experiences to help participants develop their leadership skills and increase their knowledge of the community. During its nine-month term, participants commit to approximately 10 business days of training, or roughly one day per month. That translates into an impressive 75 hours of leadership and board development training.
Program components include:
- Leadership retreats: Featuring full-day learning experiences focused on practical interactive activities, group problem solving, team building and evaluation.
- Moderated workshops: Featuring community issues related to the human and social services sector. Sessions are held at nonprofit agencies around Indianapolis and led by series moderators.
- Board workshops: Featuring leadership and board development topics. Examples include legal responsibilities for board members, nonprofit finance and accounting practices, and fundraising for board members.
- Agency certification training: Find out how United Way agencies are certified.
- Group service projects: Experiential learning opportunities in community service.
- Board internship: An opportunity to work with a local board, attend board meetings, and meet with an executive director and board chair.
- Membership in Leadership Ignited: Graduates receive a one-year free membership to the Leadership United alumni association, Leadership Ignited. The association provides training, networking, mentoring and community service opportunities.
Program requirements [see program schedule]
To graduate from Leadership United, participants must complete:
- Three full-day leadership retreats
(Opening retreat • Mid-year retreat • Closing retreat)
- Four half-day moderated workshops
- Four half-day board workshops
- One board internship
- One group service project
For more information about Leadership United, contact
Christa Thacker at
Preview application questions here.
Leadership United home
*Partial scholarships are available for select Leadership United
participants. Please indicate
your interest on your program application.