Great Families 2020
What is Great Families 2020?
Great Families 2020 is United Way’s five-year initiative to improve family stability for vulnerable children and their parents living in five neighborhoods in Indianapolis (see map).
Using the promising practice of the Two-Generation Approach, Great Families 2020 focuses on early childhood education and family economic stability. The idea is to provide opportunities for and meet the needs of parents and their children together.
Why? Because when children enter kindergarten ready to learn while their parents acquire the skills they need to be successful in the workforce, the whole family has a greater chance at achieving self-sufficiency.
How will Great Families 2020 address family instability?
Great Families 2020 aims to establish neighborhood support networks that provide integrated services in postsecondary education and workforce development, early childhood education, financial support, and health and well-being to families living in poverty.
How is Great Families 2020 funded?
United Way of Central Indiana was awarded a three-year, $7 million grant for Great Families 2020 by the federal Social Innovation Fund (SIF). With matching funding from the community, Great Families 2020 will make an impact of approximately $20.6 million to central Indiana families in need.
Round Two Grant Proposals - Timeline
A second round of funding for additional projects will take place later this year. Proposal submissions targeting the city’s Near Westside, Northeast, Northwest/Midtown and Far Eastside will be given priority for this second round. The timeline for the next round of Great Families 2020 grants is as follows:
- April 1, 2017: Request for Proposals is posted
- April 11, 2017 (3-5 p.m.): Bidders' Conference at United Way of Central Indiana headquarters
- April 13, 2017 (3-5 p.m.): Bidders' Conference at United Way of Central Indiana headquarters
- May 1, 2017: Letter of Intent due
- May 1, 2017 (2 p.m.): Technical Assistance Sessions at United Way of Central Indiana headquarters
- May 24, 2017 (9 a.m): Technical Assistance Sessions at United Way of Central Indiana headquarters
- May 31, 2017 (5 p.m.): Application deadline
- Early August, 2017: Round 2 Sub-grants are announced
For general information on the Great Families 2020 initiative, please review our Frequently Asked Questions and fact sheet. If you can't find an answer to your questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Round One Grant Recipients - Announced Feb. 21, 2017
Congratulations to Edna Martin Christian Center, John Boner Neighborhood Centers, East Tenth United Methodist Children and Youth Center, and Englewood Christian Church. View details on grant recipients