Basic Needs -- Meeting the Most Urgent Needs
Providing people in need with food, clothing, shelter and access to services that keep them safe and healthy, United Way has supplied basic needs assistance to the Central Indiana community for nearly a century. By helping people with their most urgent needs today, we are providing them with the tools and knowledge to strive for a better life.
Basic needs challenges in Central Indiana
2-1-1 is a national service that connects people in need with resources to help, which United Way supports locally. 2-1-1 is a good barometer of the basic needs in our community, and it is showing the needs in Central Indiana are increasing. They’ve witnessed:
- Increased calls to 2-1-1 – Total calls from residents in our Central Indiana service area last year totaled 183,547, a 13% increase from the previous year.
- Utilities and shelter needs are up 10% and food needs are up 21%.
We’re seeing success in our advocacy and investment
- Homeless shelters and transitional housing – 5,700 homeless were served
- Domestic violence shelters and support – 2,900 adults and 1,351 children received emergency shelter after fleeing domestic violence
- Food pantries and group meal programs
- Emergency assistance and disaster relief
- Information and referral services
Join us in advocating for services and legislation that would allow all our residents the comfort of basic needs. Learn more about our legislative priorities in our 2015 Public Policy Agenda.